Freelancer Kumar Shrestha Copyright: B B Funyal
The Rory Peck Trust was established as a charity in 1995 and remains the only organisation in the world dedicated to providing direct, practical support to freelance newsgatherers and their families around the world.
The principal objectives of the Trust are to support freelance newsgatherers and their families worldwide in times of need, to raise their profile, promote their welfare and safety, and to support their right to report freely and without fear.
We believe that freelancers play a unique and integral role in newsgathering and see the Trust’s role in protecting and supporting them as a practical and significant contribution to independent journalism and the free flow of information.
Download our 2012 Annual Review and Awards Brochure, sponsored by Associated Press.
Take a look at this short video about our work:
The Trust achieves its objectives as follows:
1. The Freelance Assistance Programme
- Charitable grants provide financial assistance to freelance newsgatherers worldwide, and to the families of those who have lost their lives, been seriously injured or are suffering persecution, exile or imprisonment as a result of their work
- Bursaries enable freelancers, who otherwise could not afford it, to undertake safety training courses before going into hostile environments
- The Trust sets up and supports small-scale, region-specific projects with partners and specialist organisations to protect and educate freelancers and their families, and gives participants financial support to enable their participation.
- Practical advice, information and support for freelancers or their families in crisis. Referrals to partners and other organisations help freelancers to access other sources of support and recognition.
2. Discreet advocacy in the newsgathering industry raises awareness of the vital role played by freelancers, and encourages both communities to recognize their respective responsibilities for good practice
3. The annual Rory Peck Awards, sponsored by Sony, showcase the work of freelance camera people in news and current affairs, raising their profile and helping to promote their work.